Stiripentol (By mouth)
Treats seizures in patients with Dravet syndrome.
DiacomitThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Capsule: Swallow whole with a glass of water during a meal. Do not break or open it.
- Oral liquid: Mix the powder with a glass of water and drink it right away during a meal. Then, add another small amount of water to the drinking glass and drink all of the mixture. This will make sure there is no medicine left in the glass.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store the medicine in its original container. Do not store the mixed oral liquid. Take it right away after mixing.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how stiripentol works. Tell your doctor if you are using caffeine, carbamazepine, clopidogrel, diazepam, glyburide, methotrexate, midazolam, phenobarbital, phenytoin, prazosin, quinidine, rifampin, sertraline, theophylline, thiotepa, or triazolam.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or phenylketonuria.
- This medicine may cause changes in behavior or mood, including thoughts of suicide.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion or unusual excitement, nervousness, or irritability
- Depression, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, unusual behavior, thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- Muscle weakness
- Problems with movements and speech
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and chrome browser.