Candesartan (By mouth)
Candesartan Cilexetil (kan-de-SAR-tan sye-LEX-e-til)
Treats high blood pressure and heart failure. This medicine is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB).
AtacandThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to candesartan, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Shake the oral liquid well before each use. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Use the oral liquid within 30 days after you first open the bottle. Do not freeze the medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with aliskiren if you have diabetes.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how candesartan works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Aliskiren, lithium
- Other blood pressure medicine, including ACE inhibitors
- Diuretic (water pill)
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- Ask your doctor before you use any medicine, supplement, or salt substitute that contains potassium.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney problems, liver disease, or heart problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Kidney problems
- High levels of potassium in the blood
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much, especially when you first use it or if you are dehydrated. Stand or sit up slowly if you feel lightheaded or dizzy.
- Do not stop using the medicine without asking your doctor, even if you feel well. This medicine will not cure your high blood pressure, but it will help keep it in the normal range. You may have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Confusion, weakness, uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing, numbness in your hands, feet, or lips
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and chrome browser.