(HealthDay News) -- For most insect stings, a person can be treated at home, says MedlinePlus. For non-severe reactions, first aid is as follows:
- Do not use tweezers. Scrape a straight-edged object across the stinger for removal.
- Wash the site with soap and water.
- Apply ice on the site for 10 minutes.
- Take an antihistamine, or apply cream.
- Watch for signs of infection or severe allergic reaction.
Never apply a tourniquet or give the person a stimulant medication, aspirin or other pain medicine unless ordered by a doctor.
If a person shows signs of a severe allergic reaction -- including trouble breathing, coughing, wheezing, uncontrolled sneezing, congestion or tightness in the lungs -- seek immediate medical attention.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.