(HealthDay News) -- Chronic nail biting is unsanitary and can damage skin around the nail. This behavior also increases the risk of infection and could harm the teeth, says Mayo Clinic.
To stop nail biting, the clinic suggests:
- Avoid factors that trigger nail biting.
- Take steps to manage stress and anxiety.
- Keep nails neatly trimmed.
- Occupy your hands or mouth, such as by chewing gum.
- Apply a bitter-tasting lacquer to nails.
If you're concerned about nail biting, consult a doctor or mental health professional.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.