Loteprednol/tobramycin (Into the eye)
Loteprednol (loe-te-PRED-nol), Tobramycin (toe-bra-MYE-sin)
Treats inflammation and infection of the eyes. This medicine is combination of a corticosteroid and an antibiotic.
ZyletThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have any bacterial infection, fungal disease, or viral disease in your eye or if you have had an allergic reaction to loteprednol, tobramycin, or any other corticosteroid. You should not use this medicine unless until your doctor tells you to.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- Do not wear contact lenses while using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Place the container upright.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma or any other eye disease.
- Tell your doctor if you have undergone cataract surgery.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- If you hurt your eye, develop an eye infection, or need to have eye surgery, talk with your doctor right away. You may need to change your medicine or stop using it.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision.
- Dry eyes or irritation in your eyes.
- High fever.
- Opacity, or white patches in your eyes.
- Redness, itching, or pain in your eyes.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Severe headache.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stinging of your eyes.
- Watering of your eyes.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984-
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.