Amlodipine (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure or chest pain (angina). A lower blood pressure will reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack. This medicine is a calcium channel blocker.
Hypertenipine-2.5, NorvascThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to amlodipine.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Dissolving Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine at the same time each day.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If more than 12 hours has passed since you missed your last dose, then skip the missed dose and take the next dose when you normally would.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using diltiazem (Cardizem®, Dilacor XR®), ritonavir (Norvir®), simvastatin (Zocor®), or medicine to treat a fungus infection (such as itraconazole, ketoconazole, Nizoral®, or Sporanox®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a heart attack, heart or blood vessel disease (such as obstructive coronary artery disease), low blood pressure, or aortic stenosis (narrowing of a heart valve).
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much and cause you to feel dizzy or lightheaded. Stand or sit up slowly, if needed. This is more likely to happen when you begin to use the medicine or if you become dehydrated.
- Check with your doctor right away if you feel chest pain that is worse than usual, trouble breathing, nausea, unusual sweating, faintness, or pain in your arms, jaw, back, or neck.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- This medicine will not cure high blood pressure, but it does help control it. Continue to take it as directed to lower your blood pressure and keep it down. Your blood pressure may go up or your angina may get worse if you stop this medicine. Even if you feel well, do not stop using this medicine without asking your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain (may be related to your disease and not a side effect)
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or legs
- Unusual tiredness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984-
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.