(HealthDay News) -- The medicine you're taking has to be given in the correct dose for it to work effectively, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says.
Here are the FDA's suggestions to help avoid an overdose:
- Always follow the directions on the drug facts label.
- Make sure you are not taking two or more drugs that contain the same active ingredient.
- Never take more than the recommended amount.
- Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse to find out which medicines mix well, and which are not compatible.
- Use the dosage delivery device that comes with the medicine, such as a dropper or dosing cup.
- Always give your child the recommended amount of medicine based on his or her weight.
- Store all medicines where they're out of reach of young children.
- Check the medicine carefully before using to ensure that the package is not tampered with or tainted.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.