Penn State Hershey Medical Center home Penn State Hershey Medical Center home Penn State Hershey: Patient Care home Penn State Hershey: Education home Penn State Hershey: Research home Penn State Hershey: Community home
Penn State Hershey Health Information Library
  Library Home
  Find A Physician
  Find A Practice
  Request An Appointment
  Search Clinical Studies
  Classes and Support Groups
  Ask A Health Librarian
  Subscribe to eNewsletters


Penn State Hershey Health Information Centers
  Bone and Joint
  Cancer
  Children
  Heart
  Men
  Neurology
  Pregnancy
  Seniors
  Women

        Follow Us

The Hidden Danger of Your Wire-Bristle Grill Cleaner

FRIDAY, July 6, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- If you use a wire-bristle grill brush to clean your grill, beware.

Bristles can break off and stick to the grill and cooked food, posing a serious health risk, according to the American Medical Association (AMA).

"When ingested, wire bristles have been known to cause injury and in some cases lead to a surgical emergency," AMA President Dr. Barbara McAneny said in an association news release.

To avoid injury and a trip to the emergency room, always wipe down the grill after you use it and inspect it for wire bristles before cooking, she advised.

At its annual meeting, the AMA called for federal officials to require a label on the brushes warning about the possibility of bristles breaking off and being accidentally ingested.

Between 2002 and 2014, there were more than 1,600 visits to U.S. emergency departments due to wire-bristle brush injuries, or about 130 a year, according to a 2016 study in the Journal of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery.

Most of the injuries were to the mouth, throat and tonsils, and some patients required surgery.

More information

Consumer Reports has more on wire-bristle grill brushes.



-- Robert Preidt



SOURCE: American Medical Association, news release, July 2, 2018

Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.